Released: 8 February 1977
Tracks: (Click for codes to singles charts.) 1. See No Evil 2. Venus 3. Friction 4. Marquee Moon 5. Elevation 6. Guiding Light 7. Prove It 8. Torn Curtain
Sales (in millions): -- US, -- UK, -- world (includes US and UK)
Peak: -- US, 28 UK
Review: Television’s Marquee Moon didn’t even chart in the U.S., but this “classic bit of punk rock from 1977” PK is “a trailblazing album,” AMG “a sinuous, entrancing and gorgeous debut.” ZG “It’s impossible to imagine post-punk soundscapes without it.” AMG It “is a revolutionary album, but it’s a subtle, understated revolution” AMG built on “an incongruous, soaring amalgam of genres.” RS “Where their predecessors in the New York punk scene, most notably the Velvet Underground, had fused blues structures with avant-garde flourishes” AMG and their “peers turned up the distortion, revved up the tempo, and stripped their songs down to tight three-chord anthems, Television did something startlingly different.” PK
Verlaine supplied “an excellent set of songs that conveyed a fractured urban mythology unlike any of his contemporaries.” AMG The songs “were thought-provoking, memorable, danceable” PK and “sounded as if they might have come from a Mike Hammer pulp detective novel.” RS
The rest of the group “flesh out Verlaine’s poetry into sweeping sonic epics.” AMG via “long, interweaving instrumental sections.” AMG “There is simply not a bad song on the entire record.” AMG
Resources and Related Links:
- the DMDB page for Marquee Moon
- the DMDB Music Maker Encyclopedia entry for Television
- AMG Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide
- PK Percy Keegan, Amazon.com
- TM Tom Moon 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die
- RS Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- TB Thunder Bay Press (2005). The Stories Behind 50 Years of Great Recordings. Thunder Bay Press: San Diego, CA. Page 189.
- ZG Zagat Survey (2003). Music Guide: 1,000 Top Albums of All Time. Zagat Survey, LLC: New York, New York. Page 225.